New truck

Truck and trailer discussions.
yankeejib

New truck

Postby yankeejib » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:02 pm

So I'm going to go trade in my 2014 "keep it forever" F150 and get a new "keep it forever" truck. F150? Why not another F150?
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

samuelrp

Re: New truck

Postby samuelrp » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:29 pm

I'm envious. Nothing like a new truck smell.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:05 pm

samuelrp wrote:I'm envious. Nothing like a new truck smell.

I was thinking about looking at barely used 250's too. I don't tow more than about 7000 pounds, but why not make it an easy tow?
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:43 pm

I definitely recommend upgrading to at least a 3/4 ton, if not 1 ton. If you use it to potential, it will last as long as a half ton truck. If you use it like you use a half ton truck and are typically running around at 10% of its capacity, it will last "forever" with proper maintenance. I personally only buy 1 ton trucks because I use their capacity, but they don't ride quite as nice as the half ton trucks do. If I could get away with a half ton truck, the only one I would consider currently is the Toyota Tundra. I like the looks, I'm happy with the power, and the customer reviews are the best available. Here are my reasons that I don't like the others:
Ford - Aluminum bed. Nope. I also find the gas engines somewhat lacking in power.
Chevy - IFS; I've owned several 2500 Chevy's and cannot keep a front end under them. The rest of the truck is solid, but the front ends don't last.
Dodge - Unforgivable failures in the gas engines. I drive Dodge trucks exclusively, but I'm buying the Cummins and not a gas engine. The Hemi's are notorious for premature camshaft wear. I bought a 2011 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi last year to haul my dogs around. At just over 100,000 miles the camshaft wore out and the dealer wanted $4,500 to repair. I also find the mileage to be poor.
So if I were buying a gas half ton, I would get the Toyota Tundra. I bought my wife a 2018 4Runner TRD Premium this past year and have to say that it's the finest vehicle I've ever bought in my life. The fit and finish are the best I've ever found. While I don't enjoy compacts much, when I took a trip recently I took her 4Runner instead of my truck.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Nathan wrote:I definitely recommend upgrading to at least a 3/4 ton, if not 1 ton. If you use it to potential, it will last as long as a half ton truck. If you use it like you use a half ton truck and are typically running around at 10% of its capacity, it will last "forever" with proper maintenance. I personally only buy 1 ton trucks because I use their capacity, but they don't ride quite as nice as the half ton trucks do. If I could get away with a half ton truck, the only one I would consider currently is the Toyota Tundra. I like the looks, I'm happy with the power, and the customer reviews are the best available. Here are my reasons that I don't like the others:
Ford - Aluminum bed. Nope. I also find the gas engines somewhat lacking in power.
Chevy - IFS; I've owned several 2500 Chevy's and cannot keep a front end under them. The rest of the truck is solid, but the front ends don't last.
Dodge - Unforgivable failures in the gas engines. I drive Dodge trucks exclusively, but I'm buying the Cummins and not a gas engine. The Hemi's are notorious for premature camshaft wear. I bought a 2011 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi last year to haul my dogs around. At just over 100,000 miles the camshaft wore out and the dealer wanted $4,500 to repair. I also find the mileage to be poor.
So if I were buying a gas half ton, I would get the Toyota Tundra. I bought my wife a 2018 4Runner TRD Premium this past year and have to say that it's the finest vehicle I've ever bought in my life. The fit and finish are the best I've ever found. While I don't enjoy compacts much, when I took a trip recently I took her 4Runner instead of my truck.

Thank you!
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm always happy to share my experiences and the opinions they form. I'm a truck guy; I currently own six (me or my company) and rotate/buy/replace trucks every year. While I'm primarily a diesel truck owner, I do like to keep at least one gasoline truck around for when winter gets really brutal. Some of my job sites are remote and I don't have access to plug a diesel in. The only gasser I currently own is a V10 Dodge, but they don't make that anymore (which is probably good as the mileage is absolutely dismal). But I've owned all the commonly available options over the years. My favorite gasoline engine is the 6.4 Hemi in the Ram 2500, but I haven't kept one around long enough to determine long term performance. My last one was a 2018 Ram 2500 but I only kept it four months or so. The first time I loaded it down with a heavy welder and other gear I immediately sold it and went back to a diesel.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:50 pm

Nathan wrote:I definitely recommend upgrading to at least a 3/4 ton, if not 1 ton. If you use it to potential, it will last as long as a half ton truck. If you use it like you use a half ton truck and are typically running around at 10% of its capacity, it will last "forever" with proper maintenance. I personally only buy 1 ton trucks because I use their capacity, but they don't ride quite as nice as the half ton trucks do. If I could get away with a half ton truck, the only one I would consider currently is the Toyota Tundra. I like the looks, I'm happy with the power, and the customer reviews are the best available. Here are my reasons that I don't like the others:

You're spot on. I have a Tundra, and love it. Very reliable. Comfortable. Nice looking. Plenty of power, unless you get in to very heavy towing and need the extra weight of a 1 ton for a more stable feel for large RV and heavy equipment hauling. Toyota doesn't change the body style much, so if you get an '07 or newer, they all look relatively the same. Ever heard of the guy that drove his Tundra a million miles, and Toyota traded him for a free brand new one? They kept the truck to evaluate how things like the seats were holding up to see how they could improve. That's the kind of company Toyota is.

Bottom line, if you want a half ton there is no better truck than a Tundra.

Return to “Truck & Trailer”