Arcus 94 - The Hell and Back Hi-Power

Defensive carry handguns.
Hand and Steel

Arcus 94 - The Hell and Back Hi-Power

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:36 pm

A few months ago I managed to procure an Arcus 94 and a 94C for about $500 total. Both guns were used surplus, with plenty of "character" - holster wear, some surface rust, as well as some dents and scratches. They were imported by Interarms, though I do not know what country they were originally issued in. Mechanically they are both in good condition, and the action is smooth on both guns. After removing the extraneous magazine disconnect, the triggers are now very crisp.

Both guns have both Arcus Co. markings and model designations, as well as "KA-MKIII 9mm" on the slide, designating them as more or less the same as a third generation Kareen. Both the 94 and the 94C are mechanically identical to a Mk. II Hi-Power and do not have the firing pin block common to later generation Hi-Powers, though both guns have ambidextrous safety levers. While the 94 is a full size Hi-Power copy, the 94C has only a 4" barrel, making it slightly lighter and perhaps somewhat easier to conceal. Sights are fairly standard three dot combat style.

Arcus 94 and 94C right side.gif
Arcus 94 and 94C right side.gif (217.49 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
Arcus 94 and 94C left side.gif
Arcus 94 and 94C left side.gif (205.02 KiB) Viewed 1111 times

The most notable difference between the classic Browning Hi-Power and the Arcus 94 and 94C is that the Bulgarian guns are notably more overbuilt. The slide is significantly heavier, as well as more angularly cut, and the area of the frame which holds the cross bar is significantly thicker than on the classic Browning design. From what I have been able to gather, one of the main design considerations with these guns was that they be able to handle prolonged use with very high pressure ammunition. Note that as a result of the heavier slide, these guns use a 15 pound recoil spring, instead of the usual 17. Both guns also have lanyard loops, and squared off trigger guards.

Arcus 94 and 94C John M Browning.gif
Arcus 94 and 94C John M Browning.gif (188.45 KiB) Viewed 1111 times

I have not had the opportunity to shoot them yet, but if they are as accurate and reliable as the double action 98DA and 98DAC pistols produced by Arcus, which is what I have read from many sources, then they should be every bit as good in functional terms as an FN produced Hi-Power, even if they do not have the same fit and finish as the classic 9mm sidearm.

At some point I plan on doing a complete spring replacement to make sure that they are performing at top condition, as well as fitting them with the excellent "Master's Grips" from BH Spring Solutions, and perhaps refinishing them in the future. Either way, I am glad to have them as they may prove to be very useful personal defense guns and have nicely rounded out my collection of Arcus 9mm pistols.

Arcus Pistols.gif
Arcus Pistols.gif (136.95 KiB) Viewed 1111 times

~ Best regards
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

samuelrp

Re: Arcus 94 - The Hell and Back Hi-Power

Postby samuelrp » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:57 pm

Those are the only two in your collection which require you to read the manual before use? Very nice collection. Bet they shoot great.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:55 am

Thanks for the compliment, sir. If the 94s shoot anything like the 98s, then they should certainly shoot great.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:02 pm

I have a 94. It's a fine shooter. It's stationed near the front door.

Return to “Carry Guns”