.40 to .357 Conversions

Defensive carry handguns.
Hand and Steel

.40 to .357 Conversions

Postby Hand and Steel » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:55 am

As far as handguns go, I'm pretty much content with 9mm for general purpose use. However, I am soon going to be acquiring a pair of .40 caliber pistols just to keep in the safe so that I will be able to make use of .40 S&W ammunition if it happens to come my way. I will also be getting my hands on a pair of .357 Sig conversion barrels, so that caliber will be useable as well.

The guns themselves are a Taurus PT 100 (.40 version of the PT 92, similar to a Beretta 96 Brigadier) and a Browning Hi-Power. The Taurus uses an 18 pound recoil spring, and the Browning a 20 pound spring.

So here is where your educated opinions come in - it seems that the .357 Sig is potentially even harder on guns than the .40 S&W. That doesn't worry me much, since these guns are unlikely to be shot much at the range - they are mostly "just in case" pistols. However, some seem to think that a .357 Sig requires a heavier recoil spring than a .40 - is this necessarily true, and given the above listed factory standard spring pressures for .40 S&W, what do you think is likely to be a good recoil spring weight?

Best regards.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: .40 to .357 Conversions

Postby Nathan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:36 am

I've been searching for a 357 Sig conversion barrel for my .40 Hi-Power for years. If you find one, share the vendor.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:50 am

I did find this, but don't know why it's extended.

http://www.olyarms.com/shop/sig-p228-9- ... e-665.html
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:45 am

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/browning-h ... sandw.html

I was planning on using one of these from EFK when they get back in stock, but that extended barrel looks... sick. Especially considering the additional velocity one would be getting out of the .357 Sig cartridge. The additional weight of the barrel would probably negate any additional recoil that the .357 has over the .40, as well, and make a heavier recoil spring unnecessary. Good find.

Bar-Sto Precision also makes a conversion barrel, although they famously make only a single run of them each year, along with many of their products, so there might be quite a wait involved.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:30 am

Nathan wrote:I've been searching for a 357 Sig conversion barrel for my .40 Hi-Power for years. If you find one, share the vendor.

They are not listed on their website, but it seems that KKM is producing them. Might be worth an email or phone call.

Return to “Carry Guns”