Software platform

Description of your first forum.
Nathan
Site Admin

Software platform

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:34 am

I'm no longer going to be spending hundreds of dollars a month to lease this server and I'm bringing the forum back home to host it on my own server like I did for all those years prior to 2014. I'm also switching platforms to get back to a more friendly admin panel so that we can grow our membership (other than Ron's son, I haven't approved any new members in years). This platform has been a good one but it's just too difficult to manage when you have limited time and aren't a coder. But anyway, some of you have been with me since the beginning in 2006 and I hope that you will make the change with me and stick around.

Do you have any interest in having the option of Facebook integration? One package I'm considering allows you to log in with your Facebook account and even comment through Facebook. I just want to determine if that is something that is important to you before I implement it. Or I could stay with the existing package and just move it if you guys really liked this one. I just wish the admin panel were easier.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

LWP

Re: Software platform

Postby LWP » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:35 pm

Screw Facebook and the horse he rode in on.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:58 pm

Nathan, I would do what's best for yourself. As far as Facebook integration, I would vote no. We appreciate all you do.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:46 pm

I really like this platform but its just too much work to try to modify it to suit. Even changing the background color requires fifteen minutes of editing. This board is a .php platform that is made to work under a Windows Server server and it works very well with little problems, but I would prefer a .asp platform board that's easier to modify to suit me. I'm currently considering Web Wiz and Yet Another Forum packages. I would ask everyone to test out both links from your phone and see if you find one more user friendly than the other. They both look great on a computer but take different approaches to mobile devices.
Also, note that if we did implement Facebook integration, it would be optional to use. You wouldn't be required to log in through Facebook, you would just have the option to if you so chose.
Thanks,
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:08 pm

samuelrp wrote:Nathan, I would do what's best for yourself. As far as Facebook integration, I would vote no. We appreciate all you do.

+1. Obviously, particular events and circumstances dictated a total lock down and I appreciate your position on that. I'm also assuming that your fairly public lifestyle also contributes to unlimited probing into your internet enterprising. You do what's best for you. The rest of us can adapt. I miss the old days, but it's not the first time the ship has sailed on something I loved. I really miss the libertarian POV on everything. It had me going for a while. Do you have any data on the "heyday"? Your server must have been smoking!
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:47 am

I honestly liked the old forum better, but if another platform make it easier for you then go for it. This is your show, whatever you chose I’ll still be here. I could care less about Facebook. Just my worthless opinion.

jjinsc

Postby jjinsc » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:30 pm

I do not have any interest in Facebook. I don’t have have an account for many reasons. Since it would be option it is a non bearing feature for me. For mobile, I like this platform better than the old one. But would be more interested in what’s best for the forum and drawing interest in participation and growth.

Return to “News@ConcealedCarryForum.com”