MIC Holster

Holster options and comparisons.
SgtDon

MIC Holster

Postby SgtDon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:50 am

I'm very curious about the MIC Holster. All the reviews I find on-line are very positive. Does anyone have any experience with this holster.

The price is right. What are the downsides?

SgtDon
Sgt Don

LWP

Re: MIC Holster

Postby LWP » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:43 pm

Essentially Mexican carry with a trigger cover. I don't like it because

it requires a specific draw motion,
makes quite a snap noise when releasing,
Mexican carry will not prevent your weapon from moving around,
it has no padding for comfort.

I sometimes carry in a Remora for easy repositioning from front to back, without the MIC drawbacks.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:32 pm

LWP wrote:Essentially Mexican carry with a trigger cover. I don't like it because

it requires a specific draw motion,
makes quite a snap noise when releasing,
Mexican carry will not prevent your weapon from moving around,
it has no padding for comfort.

I sometimes carry in a Remora for easy repositioning from front to back, without the MIC drawbacks.

Yeah, I have a friend who has a MIC and I did not like it. Junk.

SgtDon

Postby SgtDon » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:04 am

Thanks for the replies. It's now off my "maybe" list
Sgt Don

Sebastian777

Postby Sebastian777 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:57 pm

Sgtdon, I did a very long review of the minimalist setup I use for concealed carry on the old forum. I use the ClipDraw for my Glock 19 combined with a Raven Vanguard 2. In that review I mentioned my experience with the MIC holster. Basically it's loud, hard to draw out of, and if something happens to the paracord it's very difficult to get off in a hurry. Fortunately the Vanguard 2 takes care of all of these. While it is quite secure on the firearm, it's not too tight like the MIC and can be drawn from pretty much any angle. It also has a (handle? see first picture) on the front that makes it very easy to snap off without the cord. I also found it to be much quieter than the MIC. I've carried with the Vanguard and ClipDraw for over a year. It's lightweight, and does everything a holster should. The ClipDraw holds the pistol securely and the Vanguard cover the ENTIRE trigger guard, which is something many high dollar holsters don't.

The only issue with the ClipDraw is that it holds the pistol at a very flat angle that many people don't like. I actually did my senior capstone graduation project on rectifying this issue by designing a "box" that slides onto your belt that has an angled slot the clip slides through. Below is the 3D printed prototype I made, as well as the 3D printed demonstration Glock I used in my presentation. Unfortunately, ClipDraw wasn't interested in putting it and another modification I made to the actual clip into production. Fortunately, I found a simpler way to achieve a forward angle. I simply slide the clip through the front of a belt loop and out the back. This gives it a good angle and still holds the pistol securely.

This combo is extremely lightweight and has the benefit of being able to be worn anywhere from the 10-5 o'clock position. This is beneficial if you change from walking around for awhile to sitting for awhile. To my knowledge, no other holster setup offers this type of versatility. Both products together can be found for under $40.

Glock9mm

Postby Glock9mm » Thu May 14, 2015 4:16 pm

I had one on my G19. It worked as advertised but was just way too uncomfortable. I wore the setup all day skeet shooting in hot July. The next morning I had a black and blue bruise where the muzzle pressed into my pelvic bone. I gave up after that.

Return to “Holster Tech”