FOXX HYBRID IWB - first impressions

Holster options and comparisons.
jmhyer

FOXX HYBRID IWB - first impressions

Postby jmhyer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:20 pm

I got this for my Shield as a bit less expensive alternative to the KingTuk. I love my KingTuk and use it daily with my full sized M&P. But I had read some good reviews of the FOXX and decided to try it.

The FOXX is nearly identical in construction. It is a bit more adjustable for cant and height/depth of ride, which I like. And shipping was quick.

But there are a few negatives for me. The main one is that the FOXX has more real estate in terms of leather. And for the height and cant I want to carry, the leather extends a little too far down my leg and it is a bit uncomfortable when I stoop or climb stairs. I may end up cutting same material off the bottom to alleviate this. The quality of leather isn't quite up to that of the KingTuk but that's fine. It's not visible to others anyway and should nonetheless last me for years. Also, while the metal clips seem sturdy enough, where they tuck under the belt, they are more rounded and less right-angled that the clips on the KingTuk. I'm not too concerned about movement of the unit when drawing or just going about everyday life, though. It just seems that the shape of the KingTuk clips are a little better and more secure. Also, each clip is secured to the leather by a single screw rather than a pair. I doubt that will be a problem, but it just seems that a pair would provide a bit more insurance, just in case one becomes loose or somehow pulls free.

Overall, I think it's a good holster and I will be satisfied. I've had the KingTuk for a while so I can't exactly remember what I paid for it, but I think the price difference was about $20 and shipping was free.

Hope this helps someone out there. I will be happy to answer any specific questions, if there are any.

hkguy

Re: FOXX HYBRID IWB - first impressions

Postby hkguy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:58 am

NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

jmhyer

Postby jmhyer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:30 am

Here ya go... (Hope it works.)

KingTuk is on top. Foxx , obviously, is on the bottom.

ImageImage

The forward side at the bottom (left side in the top pic, right side in the bottom pic) is where the Foxx extends a little far down. Notice that the KingTuk curves upward in this area, as opposed to the downward extension of the Foxx. Though this does provide some extra holes for height/depth and cant adjustment (perhaps a benefit for some), it's just unnecessary and mildly uncomfortable for me. This is where I may end up removing some leather.
Last edited by jmhyer on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:35 am

I trimmed my Crossbreeds to bare minimum. I didn't like that much leather.

jmhyer

Postby jmhyer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:06 am

UPDATE:
Easily done with an exacto. Subtle visual difference but definitely more comfortable.

Before and after pic...

flymaker

Postby flymaker » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:19 pm

I really prefer this style of holster , My King-tuk fits both my 26 and 19 and I as well have other IWB holsters for each and a belt holster for the 19 . Maybe adding the comfort pad and up-grading the clips would be a good thing . doesn't look like a bad rig for $39.00 heck for that price you cant hardly make one like it ...... if it last 2 yrs you got your moneys worth . There was another holster maker like this some yrs back ....forget the name .... Crossbreed and the super-tuk have this market shewn up IMHO

Return to “Holster Tech”