Sleeve guns???

Wild Dog

Sleeve guns???

Postby Wild Dog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:11 am

Anyone have any experience with them? I’m looking for a last ditch weapon in case it all hits the fan.
Woof Woof, dirtbag!

Wild Dog

Re: Sleeve guns???

Postby Wild Dog » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:00 pm

No insights from warriors? How disappointing.
Woof Woof, dirtbag!

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:48 pm

Sorry, not many gecko45 types around here.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Wild Dog wrote:Anyone have any experience with them? I’m looking for a last ditch weapon in case it all hits the fan.

Wasp spray?
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:43 pm

Here are the reasons you won't find too many people hiding a gun up their sleeve.
It's hard to conceal something the size of a gun, even a very small one, up a sleeve with everything except a very heavy coat - it prints too much.
Any holster on your arm will move around under the weight of a gun, or will be so tight that it will be uncomfortable.
Whichever way the gun is oriented, you will be inadvertently pointing it at people a significant amount of the time.

Remember that the most notable instance of someone having a gun up their sleeve was a mentally unbalanced stalker in a movie. You don't want people making that mental connection with you if you are ever involved in a defensive shooting. You want to look like a perfectly normal person WHO WAS NOT LOOKING FOR TROUBLE AND ONLY DID WHAT YOU HAD TO BECAUSE YOU WERE IN FEAR FOR YOUR LIFE.

If you can legally carry a knife concealed, think about a small folding knife clipped to an athletic wristband. If I thought I needed it that's the only thing I would consider having up my sleeve other than a Seiko.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Wild Dog

Postby Wild Dog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:00 pm

11bravo wrote:Sorry, not many gecko45 types around here.

I'm not some tough guy wannabe, I'm a professional armored courrier. So I don't appreciate the snark.
Woof Woof, dirtbag!

Wild Dog

Postby Wild Dog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:Here are the reasons you won't find too many people hiding a gun up their sleeve.
It's hard to conceal something the size of a gun, even a very small one, up a sleeve with everything except a very heavy coat - it prints too much.
Any holster on your arm will move around under the weight of a gun, or will be so tight that it will be uncomfortable.
Whichever way the gun is oriented, you will be inadvertently pointing it at people a significant amount of the time.

Remember that the most notable instance of someone having a gun up their sleeve was a mentally unbalanced stalker in a movie. You don't want people making that mental connection with you if you are ever involved in a defensive shooting. You want to look like a perfectly normal person WHO WAS NOT LOOKING FOR TROUBLE AND ONLY DID WHAT YOU HAD TO BECAUSE YOU WERE IN FEAR FOR YOUR LIFE.

If you can legally carry a knife concealed, think about a small folding knife clipped to an athletic wristband. If I thought I needed it that's the only thing I would consider having up my sleeve other than a Seiko.

That's an idea. I just worry if that will be enough if an armed robber has me dead to rights and I have no way of reaching my primary.
Woof Woof, dirtbag!

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Wild Dog wrote:No insights from warriors? How disappointing.

There's your snark. You asked for it.

Now, thick skins and forgiveness reign her so...ummm...get over it, no offense. I owe a lot to about 15 folks here (some not with us anymore) who took their time to educate me over the last 10 years. I believe the above responses address the issue well. In your position, have you considered weak side cross draw? Maybe a .38? Or an ankle holster? I've discovered my cross draw is terrible and my ankle carry is not all that comfortable (wear a tiny 1 lb ankle weight on one leg for a couple of days), but it does have the benefit of surprise, especially if someone is ordering you to the ground. IMO, situational awareness is far more valuable than any weapon.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:32 pm

If you just want a concealed backup pistol but it doesn't have to be on your arm, Yankee has it right with ankle carry. I assume you are uniformed security so a shoulder holster or crossdraw couldn't be concealed and are therefore effectively non-options. The knife clipped into a wristband trick is something I came up with in my mis-spent youth to address the issue of knife access in a grapple where I couldn't reach a knife in a more conventional location. It's more than "enough" if you're close in. If you're held up beyond contact distance, you're better off trying to rush for cover and then access a weapon than you are trying to draw and fire before getting shot by a guy who already has a gun pointed at you. This is why Yankee's suggestion about the ankle holster makes a lot of sense. A very small pistol in the front pants pocket is also a viable option
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:47 am

Wild Dog wrote:

I'm not some tough guy wannabe, I'm a professional armored courrier. So I don't appreciate the snark.

So am I, and know of zero companies that allow backup weapons. Also every qualification for armed courriers is laughable at best. I’m also an Iraq and Afgainstiam vet with more time in firefights than most have spent in the shitter.

If you don’t want snark from me, don’t ask mall ninja questions. Sleeve guns only purpose are in Holloywood. I figured a prossional warrior would know as much.

Nate has set up this forum to offer real, possibly life saving advice, not cool guy movie hero advice. Lots of these guys know a hell of a lot about being in self defense situations, some from first hand experience. Get a little thicker skin and hang around. It’s the best self defense forum on the net.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:45 pm

11bravo wrote:
Wild Dog wrote:

So am I, and know of zero companies that allow backup weapons. Also every qualification for armed courriers is laughable at best. I’m also an Iraq and Afgainstiam vet with more time in firefights than most have spent in the shitter.

If you don’t want snark from me, don’t ask mall ninja questions. Sleeve guns only purpose are in Holloywood. I figured a prossional warrior would know as much.

Nate has set up this forum to offer real, possibly life saving advice, not cool guy movie hero advice. Lots of these guys know a hell of a lot about being in self defense situations, some from first hand experience. Get a little thicker skin and hang around. It’s the best self defense forum on the net.

Yeah, noobs see 361 or 134 posts and don't realize there's a decade of discussion behind it. Dammit. I miss the archives.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Yeah, noobs see 361 or 134 posts and don't realize there's a decade of discussion behind it. Dammit. I miss the archives.

Yup, we had a lot of great threads over the years.

I owe a lot to about 15 folks here (some not with us anymore) who took their time to educate me over the last 10 years.

Thanks for making me feel old as shit. It has been right around 9 years since I found this group of misfits.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:33 pm

11bravo wrote:

I owe a lot to about 15 folks here (some not with us anymore) who took their time to educate me over the last 10 years.

Thanks for making me feel old as shit. It has been right around 9 years since I found this group of misfits.

Ha! I just turned 50 two months ago. I had the incredible experience of having my dad seize and try to check out at the boat dock the morning of my 50th birthday. No breath, no pulse. My wife and I administered CPR and had him conscious before the ambulance arrived so he could argue with the paramedics. I was feeling sorry for myself and my sorry birthday until that point so I guess I owe him. Getting old sucks.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Stoble

Postby Stoble » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:35 pm

The Wild Wild West was a great show (before the movie).

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:47 am

yankeejib wrote:
11bravo wrote:

Ha! I just turned 50 two months ago. I had the incredible experience of having my dad seize and try to check out at the boat dock the morning of my 50th birthday. No breath, no pulse. My wife and I administered CPR and had him conscious before the ambulance arrived so he could argue with the paramedics. I was feeling sorry for myself and my sorry birthday until that point so I guess I owe him. Getting old sucks.

I probably shouldn’t bitch about being 31 then, even though I feel like I’m 60, thanks arthritis (7 knee surgeries).

That’s a hell of a way to spend a birthday. Hope he is doing better.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:56 pm

" Thanks for making me feel old as shit. It has been right around 9 years since I found this group of misfits"

We're a big bag of cross threaded wing nuts. :lol:
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Wild Dog

Postby Wild Dog » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:57 pm

11bravo wrote:I probably shouldn’t bitch about being 31 then, even though I feel like I’m 60, thanks arthritis (7 knee surgeries).

That’s a hell of a way to spend a birthday. Hope he is doing better.

Wow, a whole 31 years old. I guess I’m being condescended to by a kid. Listen, kid, I don’t mind being talked down to by the guys old enough to have been there and done that, but a yougin like you hasn’t earned the right. As for your vast gunfighting experience, first person shooter games don’t count.
Woof Woof, dirtbag!

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:39 pm

Unfortunate turns; locked pending review. Don't have time to read it all right now on my phone. Will try later.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Return to “CCW Tech”